Tomorrow marks the end of my 18th year on this Earth. Here are 18 little pieces of knowledge I have gained in the last 365 days. Perhaps they can be of some help to you.
1.Your body fights everyday to keep you alive, no matter if you treat it badly. Do it a favour and respect the work its doing. Respect the vessel that is carrying you through this life.
2. Learning about something on your own time makes it so much more enjoyable than learning it in a classroom.
3. Always have a pen and a lighter in your pocket. You never know when one or the other might come in handy.
4. Take photos. Who cares if people make fun of you. Take selfies. Take blurry photos of your friends. Of your room. Of the dinner you cooked for yourself.
5. Read nonfiction. I know it might sound boring but you will learn so much about the world and the people in it.
6. Don’t get attached to material things.
7. Throw out the clothes that don’t fit you anymore. Buy new clothes that fit your body as it is right now.
8. Go outside and sit in the sun every chance you get. Sunlight makes you happy, it’s scientifically proven.
9. Don’t be afraid to talk to people. Send a direct message to that person you admire on Instagram. Talk to the girl who sits next to you in class.
10. Eighteen is so young and you still have so much time to decide on what you want to do with your life. You’re allowed to fuck up. You’re allowed to change your mind.
11. Cooking meals with your friends is such a rewarding thing.
12. Hair does not matter. Cut it all off. Shave it. Dye it strange colors. It is simply an extension of your physical self.
13. People in your life will come and go. Stay in touch with the ones who matter. Let the others go. Do not hold it against yourself.
14. Stop texting 24/7. Call once a week. Write a letter. Have long conversations over a glass of wine.
15. Ask for help when you need it.
16. Time for yourself is important. Listen to music. Go on a walk. Write about your day. Buy yourself coffee.
17. Have an opinion. Discuss it. Defend it. Develop it.
18. Pickles are actually cucumbers.